non-starting browsers

Now here's another puzzle. I don't know if it's related to my previous
question about unwanted visitors in top, but I decided that I ought to start
a new thread.

I managed to get rid of those pesky unwelcome visitors, and imagined that I
was on the way to having a machine that actually does what I want.

All of a sudden, most of my browsers will not launch at all. I even went on a
spree, and downloaded lots of different browsers, just to try them out (and
to see if I could get anything to connect to the Internet). Thus far I have
installed urf, surf-raw, netsurf, netsurf-gtk, midori, epiphany chromium,
icecat, links2, lynx, elinks, vivaldi-snapshot, seamonkey and palemoon.
Firefox is of course already installed by default.

My regular browsers are icecat (to block everything that's unwanted) and
palemoon (for when I am blocked from sites such as archive.org, etc.). I also
use seamonkey for only one thing, which is a small blog that I don't really
maintain much any more, but still like to check in. And I generally use
vivaldi-snapshot for all my "business"-type stuff, where I must use a direct
connection.

Until now, this system worked just fine, both on my desktop computer and
(since early December) on this laptop. Now, suddenly, only palemoon will load
at all, and I am blocked from archive.org. The only thing that I have changed
is to remove non-free and contrib from the lines in my sources.list, since
networking has worked fine without any non-free software.

And by the way, this is not, strictly speaking, off-topic, because it probably
concerns tdenetworkmanager, or something like that.

Everything else that I've tested, so far, works okay. I can connect to the
internet, I can send and receive emails, I can download stuff. When I check
top, these browsers don't even seem to load. It's not like they start loading
then crash; they don't even show up on top.

I am about to try an upgrade. And if that doesn't work, to add non-free and
contrib to my sources ... but I would really rather not do that, since it
seems like it ought to work without them.

Help, please! Any suggestions are welcome. Even snide comments and jokes would
be a relief.

Bill