Re: complete TDE pkgs appropriate for my system?

RESENDING
Sorry for any emails sent to private addresses by mistake!

On Sunday 09 January 2022 05:54:49 you wrote:
> Bill,
>
> > If there is some way to get those items working without using Debian
> > Multimedia repos, that would be great. Also I wish that I could use a
> > genuinely free version of audacity, but thus far the various forks
> > don't do the job.
>
> OMG, nothing simplier than that!!
> All 3 mentioned are available in the official Debian-distro (stable,
> testing as well as sid) with all their dependencies. If Devuan does not
> contain them, kick that distro into the waste-bucket.
> And your complaint about the non-availability of a genuinely free
> version of audacity is not valid for the Debian-download!
> Anything more?
> Peter.

Maybe you have not heard about the changes in audacity? It now collects and
shares our data. Even though it is used almost entirely offline, requires no
connection for actual users working at home. Audacity is now at least
non-free in the GNU/Linux sense of the term.

For what it's worth, I have purged all dmo packages from Debian Multimedia,
have gone with straight Debian packages, and none of my multimedia so far are
working. I cannot play online radio on my laptop, but use my phone (thanks to
the gods) to listen to my usual shows. However, connection with my phone is
rather spotty compared to using a desktop connection.

I am collecting any codecs or libraries I might be missing, but I keep getting
the same results. For online radio, I use qmmp; but online radio stations
connect, buffering goes up to 100% then they die. When I try to play music
files on my machine (using audacious), nothing happens at all; it starts,
then holds steady at zero time, 00:00:00.

So yes, you are right, they are available, but no, you are also wrong about my
case (which totally mystifies myself, as well), because at the moment none of
my multimedia actually work. I keep trying other items, smplayer, vlc, just
to see if it is system-wide or isolated to certain players, but no luck at
all.

Bill