Re: [users] [users] r14-xdg-update?

On Fri, 21 May 2021 15:37:33 -0500
J Leslie Turriff <jlturriff@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2021-05-21 15:16:33 E. Liddell wrote:
> > On Fri, 21 May 2021 21:26:32 +0200
> >
> > "Dr. Nikolaus Klepp" <office@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Agreed. Aparently I don't know why /opt/trinity/bin/r14-xdg-update is not
> > > run by the postinstall-script. But then I have to admit I don't know this
> > > cute little program is doing at all :)
> >
> > Mostly, it adjusts some environment variables, config file locations, and
> > menu details for better compliance with the XDG specification put out by
> > freedesktop.org .  It's a very long and ugly script that as far as I can
> > tell should have no real effect unless you're migrating a profile from KDE3
> > or a version of TDE more than five years old.
> 	If that's so, it (at least test9) needs to be able to determine the previous level of
> Trinity and skip processing if it was less than two versions old.  Maybe during the
> upgrade, a file containing the FROM level should be written for R14-xdg-update to
> consult.

A closer look shows three sets of changes that apply to more recent versions.
They're labeled as follows:

Rename/remove old link files in Konqueror sidebar network panel. [prior to 2018 05 26]

Rename startkde/exitkde events in /share/config/knotify.eventsrc [prior to 2018 11 01]

Remove Konqueror's icon cache entry for / (issue TDE/tdebase#1) [prior to 2021 03 28]

How important are these things?  Depends on the user, I guess.  I personally could
not care less if there are broken links to things I don't use anyway in the Konqueror
sidebar, but I'm sure others do.

In any case, none of those three entries have anything to do with what any of the
tests are looking at—they're all testing renaming stuff from really obsolete versions,
as far as I can tell, and yes, they should be gated somehow.  If I'm reading the
script correctly, the needed version information is already available.

E. Liddell