Re: r14-xdg-update?

On Saturday 22 May 2021 09:40:33 E. Liddell wrote:
> On Fri, 21 May 2021 15:37:33 -0500
>
> J Leslie Turriff <jlturriff@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 2021-05-21 15:16:33 E. Liddell wrote:

> > > Mostly, it adjusts some environment variables, config file locations,
> > > and menu details for better compliance with the XDG specification put
> > > out by freedesktop.org .  It's a very long and ugly script that as far
> > > as I can tell should have no real effect unless you're migrating a
> > > profile from KDE3 or a version of TDE more than five years old.
> >
> > 	If that's so, it (at least test9) needs to be able to determine the
> > previous level of Trinity and skip processing if it was less than two
> > versions old.  Maybe during the upgrade, a file containing the FROM level
> > should be written for R14-xdg-update to consult.
>
> A closer look shows three sets of changes that apply to more recent
> versions. They're labeled as follows:
>
> Rename/remove old link files in Konqueror sidebar network panel. [prior to
> 2018 05 26]
>
> Rename startkde/exitkde events in /share/config/knotify.eventsrc [prior to
> 2018 11 01]
>
> Remove Konqueror's icon cache entry for / (issue TDE/tdebase#1) [prior to
> 2021 03 28]
>

> How important are these things?  Depends on the user, I guess.  I
> personally could not care less if there are broken links to things I don't
> use anyway in the Konqueror sidebar, but I'm sure others do.
>
> In any case, none of those three entries have anything to do with what any
> of the tests are looking at—they're all testing renaming stuff from really
> obsolete versions, as far as I can tell, and yes, they should be gated
> somehow.  If I'm reading the script correctly, the needed version
> information is already available.
>
> E. Liddell

I will echo, and echo again, what some others have said. We all know that we
are using a desktop that is still "in development"; it has improved greatly
in the ten years or so that I've been a user, however we have a very small
development team and limited resources. To myself, it seems a miracle that we
can use TDE at all, especially when considering what other DEs are like.
(Whenever I am forced to use another desktop, I feel handicapped, like being
forced to type with my elbows while blindfolded.)

So this thing, from my point of view, is a trivial bug, and doesn't disrupt my
work or daily activities. I only deal with it once, whenever I reinstall my
OS. (And even there, it has been more than a year or so, since I last
encountered this issue. I thought it was gone for ever.) But then I run my
script to overwrite and correct that file; now everything works fine again,
and I forget about it. Or maybe Nik's suggestion will work even better?

While I do appreciate Leslie's concern (that this may reflect some deeper
issue - sorry if I am misparaphrasing), as a mere user, it does not interfere
with my actual life, so it seems very remote and insignificant. I also wonder
if there is life on Mars, but my curiosity does not impel me to go there to
find out for myself.

Unless one is a developer (or works, or used to work, in some related field),
then this discussion is rather pointless; it keeps getting rehashed over and
over (the third or fourth round on this same issue). The off-topic
discussions are more worthwhile than this repetition and reduplication.

Let's just let the developers do their jobs; I feel sure that they will come
up with some kind of resolution, sooner or later. And in the meanwhile, post
instructions for a quick fix, somewhere that everybody can find it, such as
on the pages for installation instructions.

Bill