Re: r14-xdg-update?

said Michele Calgaro via tde-users:
| On 2021/05/22 03:25 AM, Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
| >> Ah. Interesting. Thank you. Does this solve the problem permanently,
| >> or only until the next reboot?
| >
| > Permanently across reboots .. well, till the next major TDE update
| > that forces r14-xdg-update to do some special things.
| >
| > Nik
|
| it will depends on the actual user config. In most cases, it should
| solve it nicely. In some other cases, the rename kde- --> tde- would
| probably fail and would require manual editing of the menu file.

Also interesting -- I would not be surprised if my configuration contains
items from whenever it was that KDE moved to the current way of doing
menus. KDE 1.x iirc was purely manual, where you'd add the items yourself.
I don't remember when the little applet that populated the menu came out,
or when it became automagic on install. But I've been passing menu to menu
to menu for close to decades now.

It would be cool -- because the devs have nothing else to do <g> -- if
there were a little script or utility that would check the menu against
the real world, running checks to see if the executables exist and maybe
changing such entries as are a little wonky, as when the kde- tde-
conflict occurs, with allowance made when both exist. And maybe putting an
asterisk or something next to menu entries that don't actually lead to
anything that exists.

In the best of all possible worlds imagined by me, menu editing would
include a konqueror-like icon view that allowed much simpler movement of
applications from one submenu to another, and so on.

I'm sure there are excellent reasons for it to have evolved in the
direction it did. But ideas that won't be implemented cost nothing!
--
dep

Pictures: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album
Column: https://www.athensnews.com/opinion/columns/the_view_from_mudsock_heights/