Re: kmix - audacity - hiss & feedback when recording

On Sunday 27 December 2020 13:07:50 you wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 09:32:02 -0800
[ ... ]
> If you have pulseaudio installed, it is quite likely to be causing the
> problem (especially if it wasn't installed previously).  If that's it,
> either kick the thing to the curb or install pavucontrol or similar and try
> to configure it that way. (Do *not* on *any* account install pavucontrol if
> pulse is not already there—it will probably drag pulse in and make things
> worse.)
>
> If you went from SysV init/OpenRC to systemd on your last upgrade,
> that would have changed the way ALSA settings are saved and may be
> the culprit.
>
> Regardless, this is quite likely an ALSA problem and nothing to do
> with TDE.
>
> Possibly of interest for the large selection of diagnostic commands given:
> https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/349613/alsamixer-pulseaudio-choose
>-internal-mic-over-mic-jack

Thanks for the link!

> E. Liddell

No -- I have long since purged pulseaudio and all its evil spawn. My brief
experience of pauvucontrol taught me to avoid it at all costs, and anyway,
it's connected to pulseaudio. Likewise, no systemd on my system.

Ever since KDE3, I've only used alsa, and pulseaudio only sometimes by
mistake; and after going to Devuan a couple years ago) only sysvinit. I never
used OpenRC or other options, only sysvinit. I regard systemd as a sure sign
of the Last Days approaching. ;-)

The settings in kmix-trinity get changed on reboot, which makes it a TDE
problem; although, however, E suggests, the source of that problem may lie
elsewhere. Anyway, it's not a crucial problem, just annoying that I must
manually restore my kmix-trinity settings on every reboot.

Thanks to Nik and E. Liddell for their help. Also thanks to Leslie for
reminding me of .trinity/share/config/kmixctrlrc. I don't know yet if this
will help, as I have no other need to reboot at the moment. (When running
Devuan on a desktop machine, things get almost *too* comfortable sometimes,
and I might not ever reboot unless my neighbor blows the fuse again. Which
reminds me: I really need to find a power supply backup!)

Bill