Re: LIO - mdadm partitions as backend

On Wed, 2012-07-11 at 14:37 -0400, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 10:44:11AM -0700, Andy Grover wrote:
> >
> > target_core_iblock.c:686 iblock_get_device_type returns TYPE_DISK
> >
> > also target_core_iblock.c iblock_parse_cdb calls sbc_parse_cdb, which
> > doesn't support MMC cmds.
>
> So?  That's what is exported to the initiator.  All iblock needs as
> backend is a bloock device, and that might as well be a MMC device.
> You just won't be able to use additional functionality supported by
> MMC devices.
>
> > also the fact we started with, that rtslib is working hard to make sure
> > only TYPE_DISK block devices are allowed for iblock.
>
> Wouldn't be the first time that it's overzealous for no reason at all.

IBLOCK has historically had issues trying to register a non TYPE_DISK
struct block_device as a target backend, which is what the rtslib code
in question is trying it's best here to avoid.

Now it's certainly OK to have a kernel patch that can change the device
TYPE_* emulation reported to the initiator for special cases.  For
example, Dr. Hannes has a patch for FILEIO that allows a LUN to
export .iso files over target fabric LUNs reporting TYPE_ROM.

But aside from that type of patch, AFAICT the struct block_device
backend for IBLOCK still needs to be raw block or a scsi_device w/
TYPE_DISK.