Re: Fwd: Re: LIO - mdadm partitions as backend

On Tue, 2012-07-10 at 17:37 +0200, freaky wrote:
> On 10.07.2012 08:00, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 09, 2012 at 11:46:08AM -0700, Andy Grover wrote:
> >> It looks like it only wants to allow the use of TYPE_DISK block
> >> devices
> >> for iblock. Is there another way from userspace to know if a block
> >> device is a disk vs. tape or optical?
> >
> > iblock should not care - it just submits bios.  And pscsci already
> > does
> > it's own internal checks.
>
> Whilst on the subject userspace, I have exported it with fileio because
> I need buffered mode. I know it's a risk with data consistency, but I
> need the additional performance (15MB/s writes (~30MB/s via iblock btw -
> but that has no cache options whatsoever) and nearly 100MB/s with
> buffered (until the buffers are full - MD RAID-6 is performing horribly
> (for writes, reads are fine), local as well btw dd'ing zero's with 1MB
> block size does somewhere between 20-30MB/s). 8 disk RAID-6 probably has
> too much parity overhead. Converting it to RAID-5 but it's gonna take 8
> days or so.

Btw, it sounds like your MD raid456 setup is issuing non stripe aligned
I/O, which ends up killing any type of reasonable large block I/O
performance with software raid pretty quickly.

I'd recommend checking your /sys/block/$MD_DEV/queue/max_sectors_kb, and
make sure it's aligned properly on stripe boundry in order to do full
stripe reads + writes.

Also you should try to get a performance baseline with local MD block
device performance vs /loopback local SCSI LUN vs. /iscsi remote export,
which should help you isolate down the possible bottleneck(s).