Re: LIO - mdadm partitions as backend

I'm not sure how to respond to this.

As a long time linux user I still *think* most linux users/admins (most
are both :)) read the manual (or well part of it) or at least have some
form of understanding. More people are coming over to this side tho' and
more and more of them follow howto's without thinking/investigating
themselves, often dated or written for other distributions (mostly not a
problem, but some times is).

So, at one side I'd like to say yes, on the other hand, I still feel
discomfort when some distro has set "alias rm='rm -i'" for example in
order to protect me. Probably not a very good analogy, but I can just
unalias rm and do it like that or answer yes, without having to go
through to the code.

In those lines of thoughts, I would prefer something along the lines of
WARNING, we don't think this is wise this is a type <x> device!, are you
sure you want to do this and be smart-ass?! kind of q than plain
blocking of it all together :).

I'm still not a dev btw and can't say I have searched thoroughly, but
isn't TYPE_DISK something from rtslib? Doesn't seem like a kernel thing
to me, but I'm no authority on that whatsoever. If it were however, I
would assume the code would have checked this type with the kernel,
instead of comparing major numbers against a list, where the list is
part of the rtslib code, not the kernel sources/headers.

Every time a block device (more accurate major number for a block
device) gets added to the kernel now, the list in rtslib would have to
be updated. Reasons above aside, I think that will involve quite some
maintenance and who's actively going to monitor new major numbers just
to update this? Even more complex, what will happen with code like
zfsonlinux.org? I'm not sure those kind of projects communicate major
numbers with the mainline kernel or just pick one that's free (possibly
resulting in different projects using the same major number but one is
block and another something entirely differently).

Thanks for the re'