Re: Looking for a new version with AJAX etc.

On 29/11/2012 7:10 μμ, Wm Mussatto wrote:

> I concur that there needs to be a non-AJAX version.

I won't insist on the use of AJAX, BUT a well-designed, pleasent
interface is definitely needed. The bundled themes are simply over-aged
and inadequate - below user expectations. As others have indicated, the
UI may become a primary reason for forcing admins to migrate to other
solutions, which would indeed be a pitty.

We are in the era of HTML 5 (incl. CSS), and someone should probably
devote work on leveraging these technologies to create a GUI which is
really rich, extensible, functional, productive and pleasing.

I hope some UI/web-technologies professional(s) can voluntarily provide
this work, or the SM project could attempt to launch a dedicated
UI-revision project which will have very well-defined budget, targets,
time-frame etc. and promote/request public funding (I have proposed the
same to LibreOffice whose GUI also remains terribly neglected...)

A first phase would be to create proposals of new UI designs and present
to people for commenting/voting.

The essence is mainly to realize the importance of the UI which will
undoubtedly lead to providing the resources needed.

My 2c.

Best regards,
Nick