Re: Looking for a new version with AJAX etc.

>> I wonder why the design and the functions are so “old-school” like.
>> It looks like Web 1.0 or before, but I miss some stylish new design with
>> the use of AJAX and so on, like other webmailers using today.
>>
>> Is there any development going in this direction, which I missed since
>> yet?
>
> I hope not. I am very happy there is still a webmailer left which
> hasn't jumped on the 2.0/AJAX/active everything bandwagon.
>
>> Just to test, I installed the Webmailer “Roundcube” and this looks much
>> newer to me.
>>
>> It is not just me, but also my customers, to who I want to offer a
>> modern and nice looking webmailer for their websites.
>
> No one is stopping you from doing so. But please remember there
> are other users who are, for various reasons ranging from simple force of
> habit to actual technical limitations, quite happy to stay with the "old
> school" interface.
>
> Just install Roundcube and Squirrelmail side by side and let each
> user use the one he or she likes best. Choice is good.  If Squirrelmail
> converted to the same AJAX paradigm everyone else is using it would take
> away that choice.

The SquirrelMail approach is to detach the UI from the core functionality
so it's possible to use SquirrelMail for offering both an AJAX 2.0 UI and
a old-school HTML 4.01 UI side by side. We don't want to take that choice
away from the system administrator and his/her customers. And you you want
to have a custom-made UI you could provide it yourself as a plugin without
having to patch SquirrelMail. The same goes for a mobile UI.

But as I wrote earlier; we started but we haven't reached the goal yet
since we have limited resources. If you know anyone who can help with
graphics, layout, JavaScript please ask them to participate. Even if we go
web 2.0 we won't leave web 1.0 behind.

--
Fredrik Jervfors <http://fredrik.jervfors.se/>
The SquirrelMail Project