Looking for a new version with AJAX etc.

Hello,

since some years I have SquirrelMail in use on my servers for my customers and me.
At the moment I am running the “newest” version 1.4.22 from 15. July 2011.

I wonder why the design and the functions are so “old-school” like.
It looks like Web 1.0 or before, but I miss some stylish new design with the use of AJAX and so on, like other webmailers using today.

Is there any development going in this direction, which I missed since yet?
I didn’t find anything about this on the website of squirrelmail.

Just to test, I installed the Webmailer “Roundcube” and this looks much newer to me.

It is not just me, but also my customers, to who I want to offer a modern and nice looking webmailer for their websites.

Frank