Re: Looking for a new version with AJAX etc.

> since some years I have SquirrelMail in use on my servers for my
> customers and me. At the moment I am running the “newest” version 1.4.22
> from 15. July 2011.
>
> I wonder why the design and the functions are so “old-school” like.
> It looks like Web 1.0 or before, but I miss some stylish new design with
> the use of AJAX and so on, like other webmailers using today.

I think the reason is that no person has stepped up and offered a patch
with AJAX. I think that the biggest reason for SquirrelMail loosing ground
is that the UI is quite old-school.

> Is there any development going in this direction, which I missed since
> yet? I didn’t find anything about this on the website of squirrelmail.

Our development branch contains code which makes it possible to build a
more modern UI, but the persons doing most of the work in that direction
aren't contributing actively anymore. It's a pity, but that just how
things are. Anyway, check out the 1.5.2 snapshots to try out the more
advanced SquirrelMail UI, and feel free to send in any patches you might
have.

> Just to test, I installed the Webmailer “Roundcube” and this looks much
> newer to me.

Roundcube certainly is eye pleasing (I've seen screenshots). I haven't
used it or looked at the code, so I can't compare it to SquirrelMail
function-wise.

Sincerely,
Fredrik