Re: Login Error

Travis Moe wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 11:47 PM, Tomas Kuliavas
> <tokul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> 2011.04.15 03:31 Travis Moe raÅÄ:
>>> First off Paul, as mentioned earlier, email was working perfectly fine
>>> yesterday. ÂThere were no changes made by anyone (unless someone
>>> magically hacked into my email) in the past 24 hours ÂI have been
>>> unable to login to my email all day today and other email accounts
>>> have been unaccessable today as well, giving the same "uknown user or
>>> password" error message.
>>
>> You might not change a thing, but file systems are not made of rubber and
>> partition which stores files used for authentication can be overloaded.
>
> Why does this happen?  How can it be avoided in the future?

Programs tend to forget that partitions aren't set to expand automatically
and write data until they can't write anymore. That's why we have monitoring
software and system admins to take care of systems.

Travis Moe wrote:

>>> Using squirrelmail has been nothing but an absolute nightmare. ÂOne
>>> day things will work, the next day it won't with access being an
>>> issue, getting error messages when trying to send messages, running
>>> extremely slow, and so on. ÂThe system is a joke and anytime I look
>>> for assistance, it's near impossible to find and no one cares.
>>
>> I don't think that you ever looked for assistance here. It is your first
>> post on mailing list.
>>
>>> With a lot of luck, maybe squirrelmail will "miraculously" work all of
>>> a sudden again as in the past and I can access my email. Until then,
>>> I'll be looking for new website hosters who use a professional email
>>> service and not some mickey mouse program that works 50% of the time.
>>
>> If you don't maintain your webmail or don't setup it correctly or run it
>> on inadequate hardware, why do you blame webmail software for your
>> problems.
>
> Squirrelmail was integrated into my webhosting that I pay for monthly.
>  It has nothing to do with my hardware capabilities.  It was setup
> properly as I have had this same email for 2 years.  It just suddenly
> disallowed access.  No changes have been made at all on my end, I
> don't see why this would be my fault.  Funny how everyone is quick to
> say it is but can't provide a solution.

They provided the solution. Check your server. "unknown user/password" error
points at three possible issues. 1. IMAP server has some authentication
daemon and it is stopped/crashed or can't serve all incoming requests. 2.
You have problem with PHP session data storage. 3. Something changed on IMAP
backend side.

If you don't control your webmail setup, contact your web hosting company
support. Please note that you should not blame application for system
related issues.

If webhosting company sets up their webmail for me and fail to setup
correctly or force me to use version that I don't like, I would setup own
copy of webmail in provided webhosting space.

--
Tomas