Re: POP3 mail server- leave messages on the server

>>> This is not a squirrelmail issue unless you configured some filters. My
>>> new mail appears in INBOX and it stays there until I decide to move it
>>> somewhere else. The moving from new to cur seems to me some kind of
>>> action
>>> either one of your other imap clients does (I remember pegasus doing
>>> such
>>> things) or your mail server does it...
>>
>> No.  See Marc's responses - messages in the new and cur directories
>> are all shown in the INBOX.  Unread messages are in the new directory
>> and ones that have been seen before are in cur.
>
> Not that extremely important, but I observe something different:
>
> - as soon as squirrelmail has contacted the mailserver (courier in my
> case) the mails in new are transferred to cur.
> - in cur messages that are read get a letter S behind the filename
> -rw-------  1 info users     5749 2009-07-24 10:13
> 1248423207.V815I3202dM428393.mail:2,S
> -rw-------  1 info users     4628 2009-07-24 10:20
> 1248423627.V815I32032M623399.mail:2,
> -rw-------  1 info users    10490 2009-07-24 10:48
> 1248425301.V815I32033M876463.mail:2,
> -rw-------  1 info users    68765 2009-07-24 11:46
> 1248428794.V815I32034M163548.mail:2,
>
> So here you see 1 read and 3 unread messages, but they ARE transferred to
> cur. Messages without S are shown in boldface in SM, in INBOX. Ergo: what
> you see in INBOX is in cur.

Right - I shortcutted the technical details, but to the end user, it's
easier to understand.  Really, messages live in new/ only until some
mail reader has *seen* them, after which they move to cur/.  "Seen" is
not the same as "read", but I think that kind of detail isn't what the
OP needs.  For more information about the Maildir spec, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maildir
http://www.qmail.org/man/man5/maildir.html
http://cr.yp.to/proto/maildir.html
http://www.courier-mta.org/maildir.html