Re: POP3 mail server- leave messages on the server

On Jul 9, 2009, at 4:33 AM, John79 wrote:

> "Why would you want to? This is a good thing. Think of it as
> new==unread,
> cur==read."
> "I can't imagine why you'd want to do this anyway. Can you explain?"
>
> In a company where an email account like info@xxxxxxxxx exists it
> must been
> seen from many employees due to the nature of the company. Many
> clients
> place orders, questions etc. using the above email address.
> Consiquently,
> the employee who is responsible for an email will answer accordingly.
> However, if an employee open an email throu Squirrelmail-webmail and
> realise
> after reading it that the specific email is not his responsibility
> then the
> rest of the employee who use MUA's (Outlook, Thunderbird, Evolution,
> etc.)
> will not be able to read it because it has already moved to 'cur'
> directory.

And you're certain this is the case? I know for certain that with
Courier, which also uses maildir format, it doesn't matter which
directory the message is in; new or cur. As long as the message isn't
moved from the Inbox itself (which comprises both new and cur) or
downloaded and removed from the server by another POP3 client, other
POP3 clients will still see the messages.

--
marc