Re: POP3 mail server- leave messages on the server

On Jul 8, 2009, at 11:08 AM, John79 wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> Recently I build up an email server using Postfix, Dovecot,
> Squirrelmail
> etc. The problem that I am facing with Squirrelmail is that when the
> users
> try to read their email throu webmail, after they read them, the
> emails are
> moved from directory 'new' to 'cur'. I have spent hours looking the
> option
> in order to leave the messages on the server at the 'new' directory
> but it
> was unsuccessful.

Why would you want to? This is a good thing. Think of it as
new==unread, cur==read.

> On the other hand clients that use Outlook, Thunderrbird etc. can
> have the
> option to leave the message on the server.

That's a key difference between IMAP clients (like squirrelmail) and
POP clients. IMAP clients *always* leave mail on the server and the
messages are always managed there or kept in sync with the client. POP
clients download from the server by default but can be configured to
leave a *copy* on the server, no real synchronization between the
client and the server is done other than downloading new messages and
possibly deleting older messages.

> In addition on dovecot.conf I
> edit the following:
>
>  # Don't try to set mails non-recent or seen with POP3 sessions.
> This is
>  # mostly intended to reduce disk I/O. With maildir it doesn't move
> files
>  # from new/ to cur/, with mbox it doesn't write Status-header.
>
>  pop3_no_flag_updates = yes

Squirrelmail isn't a pop3 client so this has no effect. I can't
imagine why you'd want to do this anyway. Can you explain?

--
Marc