Re: POP3 mail server- leave messages on the server

> On 7/9/09, Roland Fritz <roland.fritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> John79 schrieb:
>>>
>>> "Why would you want to? This is a good thing. Think of it as
>>> new==unread,
>>> cur==read."
>>> "I can't imagine why you'd want to do this anyway. Can you explain?"
>>>
>>> In a company where an email account like info@xxxxxxxxx exists it must
>>> been
>>> seen from many employees due to the nature of the company. Many clients
>>> place orders, questions etc. using the above email address.
>>> Consiquently,
>>> the employee who is responsible for an email will answer accordingly.
>>> However, if an employee open an email throu Squirrelmail-webmail and
>>> realise
>>> after reading it that the specific email is not his responsibility then
>>> the
>>> rest of the employee who use MUA's (Outlook, Thunderbird, Evolution,
>>> etc.)
>>> will not be able to read it because it has already moved to 'cur'
>>> directory.
>>>
>>> So, does exist a way that I can avoid the moving of the new emails to
>>> the
>>> 'cur' directory??
>>
>> This is not a squirrelmail issue unless you configured some filters. My
>> new mail appears in INBOX and it stays there until I decide to move it
>> somewhere else. The moving from new to cur seems to me some kind of
>> action
>> either one of your other imap clients does (I remember pegasus doing
>> such
>> things) or your mail server does it...
>
> No.  See Marc's responses - messages in the new and cur directories
> are all shown in the INBOX.  Unread messages are in the new directory
> and ones that have been seen before are in cur.

Not that extremely important, but I observe something different:

- as soon as squirrelmail has contacted the mailserver (courier in my
case) the mails in new are transferred to cur.
- in cur messages that are read get a letter S behind the filename
-rw-------  1 info users     5749 2009-07-24 10:13
1248423207.V815I3202dM428393.mail:2,S
-rw-------  1 info users     4628 2009-07-24 10:20
1248423627.V815I32032M623399.mail:2,
-rw-------  1 info users    10490 2009-07-24 10:48
1248425301.V815I32033M876463.mail:2,
-rw-------  1 info users    68765 2009-07-24 11:46
1248428794.V815I32034M163548.mail:2,

So here you see 1 read and 3 unread messages, but they ARE transferred to
cur. Messages without S are shown in boldface in SM, in INBOX. Ergo: what
you see in INBOX is in cur.

>> I set up some mailboxes here for multiple use as you explained and its
>> working ;)
>
> --
> Paul Lesniewski
> SquirrelMail Team
> Please support Open Source Software by donating to SquirrelMail!
> http://squirrelmail.org/donations.php

L. de Braal
BraHa Systems
NL - Terneuzen