Re: which mail format

OOOT folks :)

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007, Paul Lesniewski wrote:

> very happy with Postfix, especially compared to Sendmail (you're
> kidding!).

We are each different, that's exactly what gives us these choices.

>> Wietse is rather narrow minded when it comes to certain things, like the
>> way he attacks certain anti-spa/virus programers because they are not in
>> his "in crowd" or do things the way he wants, another reason I shy away
>> from postfix, DJB lost many friends many years ago with that attitude and
>> WV is closely following in those footsteps.
>
> Yeah, I was gonna say you can't go down that road w/out putting DJB at
> the forefront.  :-)  Perhaps it is a fine line between zealotry and
> making really excellent technical points.

Perhaps WV trained under DJB :)

> As do I.  However, the point was that that very difference means that,
> just like Sendmail, the more people who can just turn on software
> because it comes pre-installed means that that software is going to be
> much more frequently used than something that you can only get by
> putting together yourself.

Agreed, but you must then ask why they decide to preconfigure (if you
like)  one software over the other, perhaps better the well known, tried
and proven devil that most know. Especially since WV has been on RH's
mailing lists for years, maybe his 'politics' akin to DJB is why.
I have found Clauss from Sendmail easy to interact with, and when wanting
a feature, submitted, it's in if it has no adverse affects, if he doesn't
like it, he explains why he rather not do it, rather than WV saying, "no,
I dont like that", arrogance is a big downfall in anything :)
And if you handle or do things to queue files that by design wasn't meant
to happen, Clauss does not attack you, unlike WV.

>> Incidently there may be a new qmail release in the future, not by DJB of
>> course, in fact one quetions if he's even still alive.
>
> Huh.

There are some coders wanting to resurrect it as qmail2, so it is 'out of
the box' ready for todays environment since DJB gave up on it.

--
Cheers
Res