Re: which mail format

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007, Paul Lesniewski wrote:

>> haha I'm the first to admit it used to have a LOT of serious issues
>> but in more recent years it hasn't been too bad given its pretty
>> powerfull and comprehensive feature sets, and
>
> I suppose so.  Maybe its track record has irrevocably hurt its
> reputation... but it remains, AFAIK, very complex to configure any
> more interesting functionalities.

I'd agree there.

>> qmail, well, hard to
>> exploit somthing that doesnt compile on todays systems without approriate
>> patches and does nothing by default anyway :)
>
> Right, which is one big reason why I think you are off base below:

>> Postfix, is the new kid on the block, once it starts to get serious
>> inroads as the others, it too will start to have holes, they are there,
>> like 99% of software, right now, just with small userbase, not found as
>> yet.
>
> No way.  That was perhaps true in 2000, but Postfix is a big player by
> now, more so than qmail if just because it might come rolled with your

maybe in your part of the world but certainly not in Australia.
I've used postfix and I'm far happier with Sendmail and mail than postfix

Wietse is rather narrow minded when it comes to certain things, like the
way he attacks certain anti-spa/virus programers because they are not in
his "in crowd" or do things the way he wants, another reason I shy away
from postfix, DJB lost many friends many years ago with that attitude and
WV is closely following in those footsteps.

> OS while you have to know what you are doing to even get started with
> qmail.

I dont use any MTA rolled in a distro :)  because they all hack them, I
always use source code customised to the way I want. I use Slackware on
all servers, and they try to keep as true to tarballs as possible I've
always found, but I still insist on direct MTA source tarballs
compile/install.

> Interesting reads:
>
> http://shearer.org/MTA_Comparison

These are written by people with, like you and I, our own person
opinions and favourites, so are essentially biased no matter what MTA you
favour.

Just liie those that sprout the mbox V maildir, even though the tests they
show use the most well known slowest imap server known to man kind :)

> Pretty far OT, sorry folks.

lol, indeed :)

Incidently there may be a new qmail release in the future, not by DJB of
course, in fact one quetions if he's even still alive.

--
Cheers
Res