Re: which mail format

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007, Freddie Cash wrote:

> Personal preferance maybe, but don't use sendmail.  You'll find Postfix to
> be a lot nicer to work with.

Nothing wrong with sendmail, tried and proven, yes, it comes down to
"personal choices" but for that mater qmail and vpopmail is better for
multiple domain hosting and works great wth SM.

>> dovecot or UWIMAP
>
> Any IMAP server EXCEPT UW-IMAP.  On a personal system, UW-IMAP may be
> okay.  But on a multi-user system with lots of mail, UW-IMAP will only
> lead to problems.  Use Dovecot, Courier, Cyrus, or anything else.

UW-IMAP is stable, tried and proven as well, the ONLY problem you'll have
is what we have complained about for over 10 plus years, its pathetic slow
speed.

If the OP wishes to use maildir, then I'd suggest courier-imap, if using
mbox then dovecot is an excellent choice.

>> if i use mbox format is it OK or will it be a problem or do i need to
>> use maildir format
>
> Definitely do not use mbox for any system that will have folders with more
> than 100 messages or 100 MB of data.

100 messages? FFS if you are going to give advice, at least try be
factual, I use both formats, one mbox for a cisco mailing list has over
42K messages in it, it loads pretty damn fast, as fast as ones with 40
msgs in it, but if the intention is to use NFS, then maildir is the only
option.

The OP should configure the network for the future, plan ahead to what
they think they will need in 2 years, and impliment that setup.

The system we have serves hundreds of thousands of email accounts, and
millions of messages per day.
2x sendmail boxes equipped with MailScanner, configured to forward to a
qmail NFS based backend with netapp mailstore, the pop/imap is the
extremely fast vpopmail/courier-imap, webmail servers are vpopmail
courier-imap with SM, and MySQL for SM calendars and addressbooks.
(Dont use SQL/LDAP for vpopmail/courier user authing, DJB's CDB format
is at least 6 times faster for lookups, (proven by many large networks))

I would have a good rethink of the idea of Redhat based systems for
servers, I'd suggest Slackware instead, you wont have the vendor butchered
packages, for example, if bind was meant to be in 3 or 4 packages, I'm
sure ISC would release them as such, if you use as " true to source " as
possible like Slackware, you have very few updates to worry about, only
the security issues, which is higher because of the mutilation the likes
of RH and Debian etc carry out on packages. You only need to look at the
updates for RH, then Slackware to see which is the higher maintenance.

/rant :)

--
Cheers
Res