Re: which mail format

On June 29, 2007 03:12 pm Res wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jun 2007, Freddie Cash wrote:
> UW-IMAP is stable, tried and proven as well, the ONLY problem you'll
> have is what we have complained about for over 10 plus years, its
> pathetic slow speed.

Guess you're one of the lucky ones that has never had to fix b0rked mbox
files.  Consider yourself extremely lucky.  It's not a lot of fun.  And
it happens a lot more often than we ever liked.

> > Definitely do not use mbox for any system that will have folders with
> > more than 100 messages or 100 MB of data.
>
> 100 messages? FFS if you are going to give advice, at least try be
> factual, I use both formats, one mbox for a cisco mailing list has over
> 42K messages in it, it loads pretty damn fast, as fast as ones with 40
> msgs in it, but if the intention is to use NFS, then maildir is the
> only option.

Again, you are one of the lucky ones.  File your mailing list into the
inbox, and try reading new messages while the system tries delivering
messages.  Pretty much guarantee you'll run into corruption.  It's just
the nature of the mbox beast.  For a personal system, it's fine.  For a
heavily used, multi-user system, it's not so great.

No matter how much we tried to train our users to use folders, most left
everything in the inbox, which led to all kinds of problems.  Even when
it was a POP3 server.

After losing that one last day to repairing a user's 100MB+ b0rked mbox
file, we moved to Courier.  We then moved to Cyrus for the performance.

> The system we have serves hundreds of thousands of email accounts, and
> millions of messages per day.
> 2x sendmail boxes equipped with MailScanner, configured to forward to a
> qmail NFS based backend with netapp mailstore, the pop/imap is the
> extremely fast vpopmail/courier-imap, webmail servers are vpopmail
> courier-imap with SM, and MySQL for SM calendars and addressbooks.
> (Dont use SQL/LDAP for vpopmail/courier user authing, DJB's CDB format
> is at least 6 times faster for lookups, (proven by many large
> networks))

Good for you.  Shall I whip it out and measure our system against
yours?  :)

--
Freddie Cash, LPIC-2 CCNT CCLP      Network Support Technician
School District 73                  (250) 377-HELP [377-4357]