Re: which mail format

On 7/1/07, Res <res@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> NotDashEscaped: You need GnuPG to verify this message
>
> On Sat, 30 Jun 2007, Paul Lesniewski wrote:
>
> >> haha I'm the first to admit it used to have a LOT of serious issues
> >> but in more recent years it hasn't been too bad given its pretty
> >> powerfull and comprehensive feature sets, and
> >
> > I suppose so.  Maybe its track record has irrevocably hurt its
> > reputation... but it remains, AFAIK, very complex to configure any
> > more interesting functionalities.
>
> I'd agree there.
>

> >> qmail, well, hard to
> >> exploit somthing that doesnt compile on todays systems without approriate
> >> patches and does nothing by default anyway :)
> >
> > Right, which is one big reason why I think you are off base below:
>
> >> Postfix, is the new kid on the block, once it starts to get serious
> >> inroads as the others, it too will start to have holes, they are there,
> >> like 99% of software, right now, just with small userbase, not found as
> >> yet.
> >
> > No way.  That was perhaps true in 2000, but Postfix is a big player by
> > now, more so than qmail if just because it might come rolled with your
>
> maybe in your part of the world but certainly not in Australia.
> I've used postfix and I'm far happier with Sendmail and mail than postfix

Point isn't about being personally happy; I was disputing the "postfix
hasn't made significant inroads yet" comment.  For me, I have been
very happy with Postfix, especially compared to Sendmail (you're
kidding!).

> Wietse is rather narrow minded when it comes to certain things, like the
> way he attacks certain anti-spa/virus programers because they are not in
> his "in crowd" or do things the way he wants, another reason I shy away
> from postfix, DJB lost many friends many years ago with that attitude and
> WV is closely following in those footsteps.

Yeah, I was gonna say you can't go down that road w/out putting DJB at
the forefront.  :-)  Perhaps it is a fine line between zealotry and
making really excellent technical points.

> > OS while you have to know what you are doing to even get started with
> > qmail.
>
> I dont use any MTA rolled in a distro :)  because they all hack them, I
> always use source code customised to the way I want. I use Slackware on
> all servers, and they try to keep as true to tarballs as possible I've
> always found, but I still insist on direct MTA source tarballs
> compile/install.

As do I.  However, the point was that that very difference means that,
just like Sendmail, the more people who can just turn on software
because it comes pre-installed means that that software is going to be
much more frequently used than something that you can only get by
putting together yourself.

> > Interesting reads:
> >
> > http://shearer.org/MTA_Comparison
>
> These are written by people with, like you and I, our own person
> opinions and favourites, so are essentially biased no matter what MTA you
> favour.
>
> Just liie those that sprout the mbox V maildir, even though the tests they
> show use the most well known slowest imap server known to man kind :)
>
> > Pretty far OT, sorry folks.
>
> lol, indeed :)
>

> Incidently there may be a new qmail release in the future, not by DJB of
> course, in fact one quetions if he's even still alive.

Huh.