Re: SquirrelMail suddenly painfully slow and often "page not found" errors - something wrong on server?

> On Mon, September 25, 2006 11:15 am, Tomas Kuliavas wrote:
> clip clip clip
>>> Please give me some idea of what the problem could be, or what to
>>> check, or what server config/admin I should ask the web host tech
>>> support to check. Thanks for any help.
>>
>> 1. man top. Check apache processes.
>>
>> 2. Make sure that cpanel updates haven't turned off server side sorting
>> in SquirrelMail
>
> Please explain 2. above. specifically how do you verify server side
> sorting. What is cpanel?

cpanel is commercial webhosting software. First poster indicated that he
uses it, when he named imap server version.

SquirrelMail server side sorting is controlled in SquirrelMail
configuration. conf.pl -> 4. General Options menu section.
$allow_server_sort and $allow_thread_sort configuration variables.
SquirrelMail 1.4.x defaults to slower internal PHP sorting because some
servers don't support IMAP SORT extension.

I've asked to turn off thread sorting, because even imap server based
thread sorting is slow and cpu/io intensive task.

>> 3. Make sure that dns and indent services work on web server. uw checks
>> client's reverse dns address and indent by default.
>
> I think you mean ident services, not indent. But again, what checks
> specifically are you looking for.

I am looking for delays caused by non functional ident service or broken
reverse dns lookups or firewall operating in DROP mode or blocks by other
access control libraries (like SELinux).

>> 4. Check session directory usage
>
> Check it for what? One one has a result, what can be done with it?

User asked for the ways to debug situation. 'Check for big files in
session directory' is just a wild guess. I don't know if big session files
can cause slowdown, but it does not hurt to check.

--
Tomas