Re: SquirrelMail suddenly painfully slow and often "page not found" errors - something wrong on server?

I have that problem too. But only when there the account has a lot of e-mail in it. A
nearly empty account is fast. The problem is that the IMAP server is slow. The way to
verify this is to run top in a teminal window and then check mail. You'll see all the
wait time is due to slow IMAP. I'm running UW IMAP so I thought I'd do a little
research to see if Courier or some other IMAP server solves the problem. My research
shows that possibly another one is a little faster but the problem doesn't go away
with any of them.

My personal account has the most mail in it on my system and I have setup an archiving
scheme where I subscribe (in the Folders menu) to my archive hierarchy, them move as
much mail as I can to the various archive directories then unsubscribe from the
archive hierarchy.

that way I still have access to mail-list mail and sent mail if I need to search it by
just subscribing to the part of the archive tree as needed then unsubscribing when
done. The other thing that I do is set the check mail time to as high as is available
- 20 minutes or don't check mail at all since it is only the mail checking that bogs
down.

I sure would like a solution to this problem too. I have wondered if mail checking
could be limited to only the portions of the mail folder tree that haven't been
checked or haven't been checked since the last log in.

Apparently, this behavior is normal and some say that IMAP usage, say with SM, just
must be limited to when you are away from your main location where you can POP mail.
If there is little or no e-mail in your mail tree, SM (and other IMAP users) are
satisfactorily fast.

The problem with this idea is that POP only gets mail in the INBOX and not the other
folders. So you'd have to disable filtering and move all the contents of all the
flders you want to POP to the INBOX. That's too much bother for me so I just live with
slow performance. Keep in mind that slowness is limited to checking mail and to some
degree the address book.

I have wondered how Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail and the other big ones handle the problem.
They are pretty fast. Especially Gmail is fast.

--
Paul A. Franz, P.E.
PAF Consulting Engineers