Re: SquirrelMail suddenly painfully slow and often "page not found" errors - something wrong on server?

On 9/25/06, Paul A. Franz, P.E. <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have that problem too. But only when there the account has a lot of e-mail in it. A
> nearly empty account is fast. The problem is that the IMAP server is slow. The way to
> verify this is to run top in a teminal window and then check mail. You'll see all the
> wait time is due to slow IMAP. I'm running UW IMAP so I thought I'd do a little
> research to see if Courier or some other IMAP server solves the problem. My research
> shows that possibly another one is a little faster but the problem doesn't go away
> with any of them.

Yeah, but UW is probably the last IMAP server you want to run if you
really want a solid, fast, and full featured mail server.  Using
maildir instead of mailbox is also a factor.

> > 5. If you use imapproxy, check proxy debugging options.
>
> When would one run an imap proxy? How and why would you do that?

For explanation, please see
http://www.squirrelmail.org/wiki/SquirrelMailPerformance

> Apparently, this behavior is normal and some say that IMAP usage, say with SM, just

Have you tried SM 1.5 (development stream)?  It's got some large speed
improvements for the situation you describe.