Re: SquirrelMail suddenly painfully slow and often "page not found" errors - something wrong on server?

On Mon, September 25, 2006 6:06 pm, Paul Lesniewski wrote:
> On 9/25/06, Paul A. Franz, P.E. <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I have that problem too. But only when there the account has a lot of e-mail in it.
>clip clip clip
>
> Yeah, but UW is probably the last IMAP server you want to run if you
> really want a solid, fast, and full featured mail server.

I'm not sure why you want to castigate the UW-IMAP server. It, afterall, is the choice
of Redhat in their distributions. Probably because it is mature, bug-free and stable.

>  Using
> maildir instead of mailbox is also a factor.

I believe this to be true, however message content in files are most often very small
and with allocated blocksizes (disk) being 32k or larger, this structure greatly
expands the total disk space allocation since probably 80 to 90% of the allocated
space is slack space. E.g., a 300 character message takes 32k or 64k or more to store
it as a file since file space is allocated in blocks and each file needs a 1 block
minimum allocation. With disk space being relatively cheap, maybe this isn't as much
of a concern anymore even with lots of users storing thousands upon thousands of
e-mails, each as a separate file.

>> > 5. If you use imapproxy, check proxy debugging options.
>>
>> When would one run an imap proxy? How and why would you do that?
>
> For explanation, please see
> http://www.squirrelmail.org/wiki/SquirrelMailPerformance

You opened a can of worms here! The text starts off with a sample query:

> telnet imapserver.example.com imap
 * OK
 2 capability
 * CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT
THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA IDLE AUTH=PLAIN STARTTLS
2 OK CAPABILITY completed

When I contacted my IMAP server it didn't even wait for the "capability" command and
responded as follows.

[root@Beaker config]# telnet beaker imap
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to beaker.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 LOGIN-REFERRALS STARTTLS AUTH=LOGIN] Beaker.eucleides.com
IMAP4rev1 2003.338rh at Mon, 25 Sep 2006 20:06:47 -0700 (PDT)
capability
capability BAD Missing command
CAPABILITY
CAPABILITY BAD Missing command
.
. BAD Missing command
^]
telnet> Connection closed.

I assume that response is coming from UW-IMAP and not Sendmail. The telnet request was
initiated on port 'imap'. It wouldn't accept the capabilities query in upper or
lowercase.

Within SM selecting Options/IMAP I selected all 8 boxes for the tests and in about 10
to 15 seconds it returned this result in the box at the top of the page:

Server Capability response:
* CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 IDLE NAMESPACE MAILBOX-REFERRALS BINARY UNSELECT SCAN SORT
THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT MULTIAPPEND LOGIN-REFERRALS STARTTLS
AUTH=LOGIN

So, in spite of my difficulties contacting the IMAP server directly, it would appear I
have SORT capapbility.

After reading through the entire page and groaning about the work involved in
implementing server side sorting with Procmail I read:

IMAP Servers
Dovecot IMAP server

Use of the Dovecot IMAP server (free and fast, and supposedly the next default IMAP
server for Red Hat Enterprise 4) speeds up SquirrelMail for even very large folders
without migrating to maildir format. You can switch from UW-IMAP using mbox format
directly to Dovecot and turn an almost unusable SquirrelMail into a fast system.
Dovecot uses indexing which significantly speeds up header listing, etc. I had used an
IMAP proxy before to help. After installing Dovecot, I just disabled the proxy because
Dovecot alone is much faster than UW-IMAP with the proxy.

I'll second that suggestion! Forget about all the other optimizations and switch to
Dovecot. I'm running multi-GB maildirs and Squirrelmail was almost unusable with
Courier IMAP. Switching to Dovecot changed the response time from minutes to less than
a second. -- terry@xxxxxxxxxx

So, I guess I'll look for Fedora Legacy rpm of this. (Procrasting on upgrading to FC
4). FC 5 has library problems in regard to using MySQL so, I returned to FC Core one
(Legacy).

I spend far too much time with admin functions, especially ant-spam measures and I am
not getting any time off from work for vacation because I don't get enough work done
after all the admin time spent. Hence the reluctance to take on more time consuming
activities.

> Have you tried SM 1.5 (development stream)?  It's got some large speed
> improvements for the situation you describe.

Haven't yet. I think I'll put it up on my secondary DNS server so I can test it at my
leisure. Probably will use FC 6 when it is released soon then once it is working
satisfactorily, make it primary then upgrade my current primary.

Yes, I am running FC in a commercial environment. It, afterall is the descendent of
Redhat Linux 9 and that was fantastic as long as security updates were being produced.

--
Paul A. Franz
Blackdog Motor Freight