Re: Building RPMs

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 06:17:11PM -0400, Michael Jennings wrote:
> On Wednesday, 05 May 2004, at 15:13:00 (-0700),
> Steve Beattie wrote:
>
> > just pointing out that the tool makes it possible for this to
> > happen.
>
> No, you were saying that the tool shouldn't have those options
> *because* it's possible for that to happen.  Big difference.

If you wish to be pedantic, I argue that the -bs and -bb options don't
need to exist because they make it easier for a package distributer to
ship a broken srpm *and* they add very little utility -- essentially an
optimization over -ba; i.e. it's a bad tradeoff. The options --no-deps
and --force, while dangererous to an unknowledgable user, serve important
purposes and thus add utility. The rest of the -b options, combined
with --short-circuit, make the write-test-debug loop go more quickly
for packagers, again adding utility. Complexity that gives power is
good. Needless complexity is not.

Also note that rpm already has slightly rounded edges in this area,
otherwise -bb --short-circuit (or something similar) would be possible.

Obviously, you feel that -bb and -bs add worthwhile utility to rpm. I
disagree. However, I don't feel all that strongly about it, it was a
minor niggle to me. I don't really expect the options to get deprecated
and will let the issue drop here.

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 06:15:35PM -0400, Michael Jennings wrote:
> On Wednesday, 05 May 2004, at 15:13:00 (-0700),
> Steve Beattie wrote:
>
> > Except that I've seen *Red Hat* ship srpms on multiple occasions
> > that were broken in this way -- there was no way the supposed source
> > rpm would build, and yet they had a binary rpm of the same
> > version. It's not the user I'm concerned about, it's the
> > distributer.
>
> I don't recall excluding any particular entity from my previous
> statement.

Fairy nuff. But consider that the entity that should know how to use the
tool the best (whether it actually does or not) still has managed to shoot
itself in the foot with these particular options on multiple occasions.

--
Steve Beattie                               Don't trust programmers?
<steve@xxxxxxxxx>                         Complete StackGuard distro at