Re: No floppy controller detected

On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 03:29, Philippe wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 23:16, Klaasjan Brand wrote:
> > Why not download the redhat source rpm, edit the .config file to compile
> > the floppy driver as a module and generate a new kernel rpm?
> > If you're interested I can describe the steps to make that modification.
> > I contacted you off list...
> >
> > > And with /etc/modules.conf ? Possible ?
> >
> > The default behaviour for the kernel is to look for modules when a
> > driver is not compiled in. I don't recall having to load it manually,
> > but even if that's neccesary typing "/sbin/modprobe floppy" will load
> > it.
> on my PC /sbin/modprobe floppy :
> [root@p4 archives]# /sbin/modprobe floppy
> modprobe: Can't locate module floppy

The Red Hat 9 kernels have the floppy driver compiled into it, so no
need for the module. That's the cause of the asus mainboard problem.
Later initialisation of the floppy controller seems to work around the
problem...

The fedora linux kernel has the floppy driver as a module. You could
also try to install that one alongside the rh9 one (don't know if that
would work; it's completely unsupported...)

--
Klaasjan Brand <kjb@xxxxxx>