Re: No floppy controller detected

On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 11:51, Philippe wrote:
> Addendum,
>
> The exact message is (from dmesg) : floppy0 : no floppy controller found
> Later in the log, I have :
> ide-floppy driver 0.99.newide.

ide-floppy has got nothing to do with the standard floppy drive
controller.

> Motherboard : ASUS P4T-F / Socket 423 / Intel 850 Chipset.

Got one here too... same problem. Solved it with RH9 by using
recompiling the kernel (see the bugzilla report). Now the system's
running Fedora which works fine on that board.

> Hope somebody can help me, my customer needs is floppy, or will go back
> to Windows. But everything else is working so perfectly.

It's no inherent problem with linux, just RH9 in combination with that
mainboard. It's definately fixable.

> The last solution could be to install an external floppy drive, but will
> I be more lucky, if the problem is the floppy controller ?

A usb floppy drive doesn't use the "legacy" floppy controller, so that
should work.

Klaasjan Brand <kjb@xxxxxx>