Re: RFC-1855, Time, Money, and this email list.

Jeff Kinz wrote:

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 08:57:46PM -0700, ___cliff rayman___ wrote:

for every message it is [select/click, search wth scroll/spacebar, read, delete/reply].
the scrolling down to the relevant part of the message seems like a serious waste of time for
hundreds of recipients, especially when everyone has to search for it manually. it is
a genuine RFC, but parts of it need to be implemented by mail readers, not by
millions of humans.

Hi Cliff, Sorry - I don't understand your point above. Can you please elucidate a little? Exactly why is doing it the wrong way better?

it is not the "wrong" way. we are not writing about a computer protocol here,
we are writing about human interaction. replies at the bottom of an e-mail, require
users to scroll to read the reply if the entire message does not fit into the view window.
this is clearly a waste of user time and keystrokes.

Is it better for just you or does it help everyone?

i think this is individualized. depends on your mailreading style. i am sure
that many would benefit from a "top posting" world. :-)

Lay it out it in small pieces so we can understand what your point is.

simply this. if you top post, then your reply is readable without having to scroll the
view window. if mail readers can be set so that they would autoscroll to the newly
written section (user preference), then i would not mind bottom posting, since i would not
have to perform any physical action in order to read the reply. asking millions of
people to scroll down to read bottom posts is a waste of all those user's time.

Thanks.  (also - try wrapping your lines at column 72, it works better
for text oriented email clients.  As you can see, your text gets pretty
garbled, as above.)

my bad - this new e-mail client inherited most of my old settings, but not this
one apparantly. thanks!

--
___cliff rayman___cliff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx://www.genwax.com/