Re: RFC-1855, Time, Money, and this email list.

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 08:57:46PM -0700, ___cliff rayman___ wrote:
> i respectfully disagree unless someone knows of a mail reader that will
> automatically
> scroll to the beginning of the unquoted message.  in every mail reader i
> use, it shows
> the top of  the message first.  if i remember the thread, which is usual
> when i am
> catching up on e-mail,  i do not need to see the repeated quotes once
> again.  that means
> for every message it is [select/click, search wth scroll/spacebar, read,
> delete/reply].
> the scrolling down to the relevant part of the message seems like a
> serious waste of time for
> hundreds of recipients, especially when everyone has to search for it
> manually.  it is
> a genuine RFC, but parts of it need to be implemented by mail readers,
> not by
> millions of humans.

Hi Cliff, Sorry - I don't understand your point above.  Can you please
elucidate a little?  Exactly why is doing it the wrong way better?
Is it better for just you or does it help everyone?

Lay it out it in small pieces so we can understand what your point is.
Thanks.  (also - try wrapping your lines at column 72, it works better
for text oriented email clients.  As you can see, your text gets pretty
garbled, as above.)

> Jeff Kinz wrote:
>
> >>From RFC-1855 Section 3, One to many communication, a relevant
> >paragraph:
> >
> >    - If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you
> >      summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just
> >      enough text of the original to give a context.  This will make
> >
> --- snip ---
>
> >Please remember the economics of the situation:   When you top-post a
> >response you are, in effect, saying that your time is more valuable than
> >the time of the hundreds of other people who read the email list.
> >

> --
> ___cliff rayman___cliff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx://www.genwax.com/
>

> --

Jeff Kinz, Open-PC, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.  jkinz@xxxxxxxx
copyright 2003.  Use is restricted. Any use is an
acceptance of the offer at http://www.kinz.org/policy.html.
Don't forget to change your password often.