Re: nfs, stupidity = even more stupidity

Res wrote:

With ext3 at maybe 5 seconds per journal, that's 360 disks -- that's a
huge machine. I'm impressed. Unless you're forcing an fsck and not
letting the journal do what it's there for or not using ext3.

its not that big, but from memory its faster in checking than ext2, but
certainly not done in 'seconds'

Hmm. There's something not right there. My laptop with its 30Gb disk crashes on a regular basis (due to me, not any RH or hardware problems :-)) and it takes a few seconds to replay the journal on the two partitions. It takes longer for the five second countdown asking me if I want to do the full check than it does to replay the journal. I've just done a full fsck on a 40Gb partition on a different (and signficantly faster machine) and that took ages -- just over three minutes. When I crash this machine it only takes a few seconds to replay the journal as well.

Are you saying "Y" to doing a full check? Also, when you created the partitions on all your disks did you remember to run "tune2fs -c0 -i0 <parition>" to turn off the period full fsck? I don't think that there is any need at all to run a full check on ext3 partitions, unless you like to once or twice a year because you don't trust the file system (and it's pretty solid now).

jch