Re: nfs, stupidity = even more stupidity

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, John Haxby wrote:

> Hmm.   There's something not right there.    My laptop with its 30Gb

you're telling me :)

> signficantly faster machine) and that took ages -- just over three
> minutes.   When I crash this machine it only takes a few seconds to
> replay the journal as well.

4 drives all 80 gigs, its the only ide box, the scsi ones, well no
hassle with them so dunno how long it would take :)

> Are you saying "Y" to doing a full check?   Also, when you created the

eek no, takes long enuf without it.

> partitions on all your disks did you remember to run "tune2fs -c0 -i0

nope, so it spose to do full check every 21 mounts, normally we'd be lucky
to see 2 or 3 a year, whenever we feel a kernel upgrade is needed for
security reasons.

> there is any need at all to run a full check on ext3 partitions, unless

I'd like to think not, but as it's still fairly new, I'll play it safe.

> you like to once or twice a year because you don't trust the file system
> (and it's pretty solid now).

I trust the scsi's, they all run RAID5 so there is extra peace of
mind there, but the ide well the sooner we get rid of the better,
it only runs our nntp server so data loss although would be a great
annoyance, its not so critical that we cant just start again should there
be a catastrophe.

--
Res
-