Re: Sound card drivers re-do?

>>Thanks again, but I don't think I am making myself clear as to
>> what it is that I want to do.
>>
>>I don't care about xine.  Or alsa.  Right now, I care about
>> getting my soundcard to work again.  That's kinda what I'm after.
>>
>>Say, you wouldn't happen to know how to do that, would you?
>>

> Well, it's hard to say without seeing what you've got.   Look at
> /etc/modules.conf and see what's there.   Do an "lsmod" and see
> what's  installed as well.    If you have a bunch of "snd-..."
> modules then  you're running ALSA - one of the modules there
> should be snd-card-<name>  where <name> is something akin to you
> soundcard.    If you just have  <name> (a name akin to your
> soundcard) then you've probably got OSS.
>
> Right.   If you have modules installed we're probably going OK.
> I'm  guessing you are.   Only guessing mind you :-)
>
> Now run "aumix -q".   Does it work?   That is, do you get a
> message  saying that the sound system is missing/doesn't work or
> do you get  something vaguely like this:
>
> vol 68, 68, P
> pcm 84, 84
> speaker 0, 0
> line 0, 0, P
> mic 0, 0, R
> cd 0, 0, P
> igain 0, 0
> line1 0, 0, P
> phin 0, 0, P
> video 0, 0, P
>
> What you actually get will depend on your sound card.   Note,
> however,  that the "vol" and "pcm" channels are non-zero.   I'm
> still assuming you  have a basically working sound system but you
> can't hear anything.
>
> If your vol and pcm channels are non-zero then you should be able
> to  hear a wav file (just "play foo.wav" for a random wav file you
> have  lying around).    I just experumented muting channels with
> alsamixer and  setting the volume in kmix and setting the volume
> non-zero with kmix  seemed to make things audible.
>

> Now -- how far through this lot did you get?

Thank you, John, for the response.  The sound card shows as being
there, everything looks right, as I think I mentioned in the first
email today.  It just won't make any noise :(

Things were fine until the xine install, so I'm assuming something
got hosed thereby.

I'm going to re-install tomorrow morning, already copied all the
important stuff off via a samba connection.

I didn't know about the aumix -q command and argument.  That is very
handy information to have!

Thanks again!

Brad