ARRGGHH, RedHat GUI

Hi all,

Well, I have done it... I said I never would but I have been keeping an eye on the Laptop posts over the last few days and my curiosity got the better of me.

I put the RedHat 9 boot disk in my XP/Debian laptop (my OWN pc) and let it rip!
I um'd and ar'd about putting a GUI on it cos Im a newby to Linux and want to learn command line first!
(YES, I hate my old M$ ways!!)

Scary, but all went well at first. Needed to resize some partitions cos Im a bit of a procrastinator (Oh, yeah I really wanna start learning how to use...all those programs Ive never attempted before!! ;) Silly)

But anyway, I got nearly everything back to normal again, its so nice to start fresh!
MYSQL, why wont the daemon start? Y does it not exist in services and this synaptic program says its not there.

I used up2date mysql as the original installation didnt include mysql by default. Now I cant find mysqladmin or anything like that. There are a few mysql files in /usr/bin but nothing familiar.
(Granted Ive only ever got Mysql working twice before!!)
When I just type mysql is says it cant connect with socket blah/blah/mysql.sock ???

Also, I installed this infamous apt-get as well. Where is it? (rpm apt2123223.i386.blah.rpm)

Thanks guys. Wish me luck!

Logan