Re: Sound card drivers re-do?

Thanks again, but I don't think I am making myself clear as to what
it is that I want to do.

I don't care about xine.  Or alsa.  Right now, I care about getting
my soundcard to work again.  That's kinda what I'm after.

Say, you wouldn't happen to know how to do that, would you?

Right. If you have modules installed we're probably going OK. I'm guessing you are. Only guessing mind you :-)

Now run "aumix -q". Does it work? That is, do you get a message saying that the sound system is missing/doesn't work or do you get something vaguely like this:

vol 68, 68, P
pcm 84, 84
speaker 0, 0
line 0, 0, P
mic 0, 0, R
cd 0, 0, P
igain 0, 0
line1 0, 0, P
phin 0, 0, P
video 0, 0, P

What you actually get will depend on your sound card. Note, however, that the "vol" and "pcm" channels are non-zero. I'm still assuming you have a basically working sound system but you can't hear anything.

If your vol and pcm channels are non-zero then you should be able to hear a wav file (just "play foo.wav" for a random wav file you have lying around). I just experumented muting channels with alsamixer and setting the volume in kmix and setting the volume non-zero with kmix seemed to make things audible.

Now -- how far through this lot did you get?