Re: RBL blocking of rogers.com valid user e-mail addresses?

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 04:25:56AM -0500, Scott Kindley wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-05-04 at 08:39, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> > I know you don't agree. Fine. I'm just trying to show you that yes, two
> > different points of view _CAN_ exist on this issue. You are not "right" nor
> > is it possible to be "right", and I am not telling you that you are "wrong"
> > in any way either. We just think differently, and (surprise!) that's OK.
> >
> > Is that clearer now?
> >
> I believe there can be a "right" and a "wrong".

"Right" is when you have successfully blocked 100% of the spam and NONE
of the legitimate e-mail.  There is currently no way to block all the
spam and only the spam.

Every ISP is in the position of trying to get to the "right" answer as
I've defined it.  You all make trade-offs, as do I in managing our
corporate e-mail servers and even my home network.  Those tradeoffs are
made based on the customer base you're serving.  As your attempts to
block spam get more severe, the odds of blocking legitimate e-mail go
up.  How important it is to you to not block legitimate e-mail is part
of the tradeoffs.

Rodolfo has summed it up well and I think it's time to drop it.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts@xxxxxxxxxx