Re: Problems with PS1 in .bashrc preventing KDE/Gnome from loading

Keith Winston wrote:

I don't understand how the PS1 prompt could be the problem. None of the X startup scripts use it AFAIK.

Are you sure there is not something wrong with your XF86Config file?

No, I don't think so: it's a new installation of RH9, and I haven't modified anything.

You say that if you comment out the one line that sets the PS1 variable in your ~/.bashrc that X starts up OK, but when you have it set it doesn't?

That's correct. The .bashrc_profile and .bashrc file I use are below. If I run it with the PS1 line uncommented, I have the problem; if commented out, I don't.

************
# .bash_profile

# Get the aliases and functions
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
   . ~/.bashrc
fi

# User specific environment and startup programs

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin
BASH_ENV=$HOME/.bashrc
export BASH_ENV PATH

unset USERNAME

*************
# .bashrc

# User specific aliases and functions
alias mv='mv -i'
alias rm='rm -i'
alias cp='cp -i'
alias cls='clear'
alias dirr='ls -al | more'
alias hist='history'
alias startx='startx -- -nolisten tcp'
alias su='su -m'

shopt -s histverify
# directs history file to not include the listed commands
# and not to include duplicate commands
HISTIGNORE='cls:cd:dirr:hist:su'
history_control=ignoredups

umask 077