Re: Problems with PS1 in .bashrc preventing KDE/Gnome from loading

BOF wrote:
Hello,

I am having problems under RH 9.0 with the PS1 prompt preventing KDE or Gnome loading. This problem did not occur in RH7.3.

In my .bashrc file, I set the PS1 prompt using a line

PS1=[\\w]\\$

This allows me to see the directory I am currently using, e.g., as [/usr/local]$ if I am in /usr/local.

When this line is in the .bashrc file and I try to load KDE (or Gnome), X loads as a black screen with a white X for a mouse cursor but neither KDE nor Gnome load.

If I comment out the line, then either of them loads without problems. Once they load, I can set the cursor from the command line in a terminal window.

It doesn't make sense to me, because I also create a custom prompt in .bashrc and KDE and GNOME both load fine for me (though I use Icewm 95% of the time). Here is my prompt line:

# Set multiline colorized prompt
PS1='\[\e[32;1m\]\u@\h \[\e[33;1m\][\w]\n\[\e[36;1m\]\t\[\e[0m\] $ '

It also includes the current directory. One difference may be that I boot into run level 3 (command line login), then start X into whatever WM I want after that. Are you booting into run level 3 or 5?

Best Regards,
Keith
--
LPIC-2, MCSE, N+
Droplets of yes and no in an ocean of maybe