Re: Major stability issues w/ RedHat 9

From: "Daniel T. Drea" <dandanielle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, jdow wrote:
> > SB Live! cards screwed up Windows NT systems as well as Linux systems.
> > They had a bad PCI implementation. As it happens they managed to find
> > enough work around to get 9x running as well as 9x ever ran, the board's
> > crashes were masked by the rest of the system crashes. Under Windows NT
> > I have NEVER YET found a driver that will make a Live! card work
> > reliably. They are pure system poison.

> So as someone with an sblive card and some stability trouble, which pci
> sound card would you recommend as being stabile and well supported in
> linux? I will gladly pay the price of a sound card for more stability :)
> BTW, I don't need 3d surround sound, but would like decent drivers for
> xine and xmms.

We've had good luck with almost anything else. Although once stung we
avoid the Creative boards. Our main products use MIDI on NT for Show
Control. So virtually any cheap audio card does well for us. Typically
the onboard audio cards work decently when they are Yamaha, AC-07, or
CMedia based. Under Linux I have a CMedia card that behaves decently with
the version of Red Hat I have loaded on the machine. (Not the latest
Red Hat however.)

{^_^}