Re: Major stability issues w/ RedHat 9

From: "Shawn" <drevil@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> On Thu, 2003-04-17 at 07:54, Brian Stretch wrote:
> > I see both of your PCs have SB Live! cards.  Try removing them and
> > see if that helps.  Live! cards have a very poor PCI bus
> > implementation that VIA chipset boards are particularly intolerant
> > of, especially when you have lots of other cards installed like you
> > do.  Creative fixed this problem with the Audigy series (which I
> > haven't tried), but I went with the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.
>
> Actually, I'd argue it's the other way around. The problem is not the SB
> Live card in my opinion, but rather the fact that VIA failed to
> implement the "bus parking" feature that Intel chips support until much
> later. Creative worked around the lack of this feature in later cards
> for greater compatability with older boards. Older VIA chipsets are
> particularly bad with PCI, and especially ISA. My VIA KT266A seems to
> have absolutely no issues though. I'm quite happy with it.

SB Live! cards screwed up Windows NT systems as well as Linux systems.
They had a bad PCI implementation. As it happens they managed to find
enough work around to get 9x running as well as 9x ever ran, the board's
crashes were masked by the rest of the system crashes. Under Windows NT
I have NEVER YET found a driver that will make a Live! card work
reliably. They are pure system poison.

{^_^}