Re: Major stability issues w/ RedHat 9

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, jdow wrote:

> From: "Shawn" <drevil@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> > On Thu, 2003-04-17 at 07:54, Brian Stretch wrote:
> > > I see both of your PCs have SB Live! cards.  Try removing them and
> > > see if that helps.  Live! cards have a very poor PCI bus
> > > implementation that VIA chipset boards are particularly intolerant
> > > of, especially when you have lots of other cards installed like you
> > > do.  Creative fixed this problem with the Audigy series (which I
> > > haven't tried), but I went with the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.
> >
> > Actually, I'd argue it's the other way around. The problem is not the SB
> > Live card in my opinion, but rather the fact that VIA failed to
> > implement the "bus parking" feature that Intel chips support until much
> > later. Creative worked around the lack of this feature in later cards
> > for greater compatability with older boards. Older VIA chipsets are
> > particularly bad with PCI, and especially ISA. My VIA KT266A seems to
> > have absolutely no issues though. I'm quite happy with it.
>
> SB Live! cards screwed up Windows NT systems as well as Linux systems.
> They had a bad PCI implementation. As it happens they managed to find
> enough work around to get 9x running as well as 9x ever ran, the board's
> crashes were masked by the rest of the system crashes. Under Windows NT
> I have NEVER YET found a driver that will make a Live! card work
> reliably. They are pure system poison.
>
> {^_^}

So as someone with an sblive card and some stability trouble, which pci
sound card would you recommend as being stabile and well supported in
linux? I will gladly pay the price of a sound card for more stability :)
BTW, I don't need 3d surround sound, but would like decent drivers for
xine and xmms.

--

/dTd
gpg-key: http://dandanielle.home.mindspring.com/files/dtd-pub-key.asc