Re: Major stability issues w/ RedHat 9

> I recommend the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.  That's what I replaced
> my Live! with in my A7M266-D.  Red Hat automagically detects and
> configures it.
>
> Try using onboard audio (if you have it) instead of your Live! to
> see if that clears up your stability problems.  If it does, then
> you can worry about finding a card that sounds decent :-).
>
> Actually, you may have a good excuse to buy a nice nForce2 board.
> The ALSA Project drivers work well with it (see
> http://shrike.freshrpms.net).  nVidia's own audio drivers,
> including the new April 14th drivers, aren't RH9 compatible yet,
> but their network driver is if you build it from the source
> tarball.  Just make sure you get one of the higher-end boards
> that use nVidia's onboard audio if you go this route (ASUS A7N8X
> Deluxe in my case).

I personally have only seen one hang with my machine which has a SB
Live! card. The hang was caused by plugging in a usb keychain while
running 2.4.20-8. I have had my workstation at work hang for some
unknown reason, but then it doesn't have a SB Live! card in it since the
available SB Live! card refused to work.

I know all about the VIA 686x southbridge issues. I had a Abit
KT7A-RAID(PoS) and had no end of problems with it. I never did see
corruption, but then I ran my hard drives off the Highpoint controllers
and my cdrom drives off the VIA controllers. It might have been made
worse by the SB Live! card, but I doubt it. Now I have a MSI KT3-Ultra2
which I have been very happy with when in comes to stability.

Personally I think SB Live! cards rule over onboard audio for two
reasons. One, multiple wav streams at once without crappy software like
esd or arts. Two, good drivers, unlike the only work half the time
drivers for onboard audio.