Re: Major stability issues w/ RedHat 9

Daniel T. Drea wrote:
> So as someone with an sblive card and some stability trouble, which pci
> sound card would you recommend as being stable and well supported in
> linux? I will gladly pay the price of a sound card for more stability :)
> BTW, I don't need 3d surround sound, but would like decent drivers for
> xine and xmms.

I recommend the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.  That's what I replaced
my Live! with in my A7M266-D.  Red Hat automagically detects and
configures it.

Try using onboard audio (if you have it) instead of your Live! to
see if that clears up your stability problems.  If it does, then
you can worry about finding a card that sounds decent :-).

Actually, you may have a good excuse to buy a nice nForce2 board.
The ALSA Project drivers work well with it (see
http://shrike.freshrpms.net).  nVidia's own audio drivers,
including the new April 14th drivers, aren't RH9 compatible yet,
but their network driver is if you build it from the source
tarball.  Just make sure you get one of the higher-end boards
that use nVidia's onboard audio if you go this route (ASUS A7N8X
Deluxe in my case).