Re: Red Hat EW Licensing

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 07:21:18PM -0400, Matt Wilson wrote:

> You're right, people who influence changes are reading this thread -
> I'm still trying to go through all of it...

For what it's worth, I did some checking with Mandrake and SuSe (two other
RPM-based distros).  I noticed that SuSe does not allow FTP of it's iso's.  It
charges for them on CD/DVD, but does allow free FTP install.  They explain
that this is how they help keep their costs covered to do 24mos. support.

I would find something like this quite acceptable in my case.  That would give
me 2yrs. between upgrades (which is where my time-cost is) and the cost is lower
($40-$80 per set, IIRC) than the RHE offerings.

The cost may be higher than "free", but even just offering base system updates
is worth some $$.  If this would work for RedHat, I'd love it.

I've never used SuSe, so maybe it's as good or better than RHL, but I'm
comfortable with RHL and I'd like to stick with it...

Just my $0.02...

-Michael

--
A billion seconds ago Harry Truman was president.
A billion minutes ago was just after the time of Christ.