Re: Red Hat EW Licensing

Thomas Dodd wrote:

See the GPL. If you modify GPL source code, it's still GPL. So if you distribute the binaries, which are GPL, you must make the the source available, and cannot restrict redistribution of either. The only redistribution limits are:
1) Red Hat's tradmarks (like the ShadowMan logo, and the name)
2) non-GPL code included with the distro, like IBM's JVM.

So Red Hat says the _SOFTWARE_ is GPL. So I copy, modify, and redistribute according the the GPL. I've asked sales about it. waiting for a reply.

I read the "certain image files" mentioned in the first paragraph of Appendix 1 to be the IBM JDK mentioned in the second paragraph:

"The distribution also includes the IBM® Java Development Kit ("JDK"), which is software licensed to Customer from IBM Corporation, hereinafter, the "IBM Programs". For the precise terms of the license for these IBM Programs, please check the on-line documentation that accompanies them or review the license at http://www.redhat.com/licenses/jdk_ibm.html. If Customer does not agree to abide by the applicable license terms for these IBM Programs, then Customer may not install them. If Customer wishes to install these IBM programs on more than one computer, then Customer must contact IBM to purchase additional licenses."

I think the binary distro of AS/RHEL includes this JDK and that's the real stickler. Trademarks redistribution is covered by the terms of the trademark policy:

http://www.redhat.com/about/corporate/trademark/guidelines/

which allows fair use of Red Hat trademarks in these cases:

"Educational Institutions, Not-For-Profits, Linux User Groups and Affiliated Individuals

If you are an educational institution, a not-for-profit organization, a user group, or an individual affiliated with or employed by any of those organizations, Red Hat grants you a trademark license with respect to the RED HAT mark for use with the non-commercial redistribution of Red Hat® Linux® in the form you electronically downloaded it from our FTP site or other authorized electronic download sites or as copied from an original disk from Red Hat or its authorized distributors (either from the boxed set or delivered directly to you by Red Hat or an authorized distributor). We consider non-commercial redistribution to be any distribution for which you charge no more than the cost of replicating the CD and a reasonable handling fee. If any copies are to be distributed to individuals outside your organization, either the label or an accompanying printed document must indicate that: (a) the distribution is provided without any warranties (unless you elect to provide those warranties); and (b) this distribution does not include support (either technical or developer) services from Red Hat but that such services may be purchased from Red Hat separately. If you are making copies available for electronic download from your site, these same statements must be prominently displayed prior to any download being initiated. (Authorized FTP or Electronic Download Sites, please see below.) Of course, you are always permitted to redistribute the code without utilizing Red Hat's trademark so long as you otherwise comply with the GNU General Public License and Red Hat's Trademark Guidelines.

Personal Use or Businesses

If you are an individual or business (including all subsidiaries of such business) and you only intend to use Red Hat® Linux® personally or, in the case of a business, internally, in the original form delivered by Red Hat (or its authorized distributors) or with modifications provided by Red Hat, you have permission to apply Red Hat's trademarks to all such internal copies. Please note that without a separate support contract from Red Hat, only an original purchased copy comes with installation support. And of course, you are always permitted to redistribute the code without utilizing Red Hat's trademark so long as you otherwise comply with the GNU General Public License and Red Hat's Trademark Guidelines."

Since there seems to be no differentiation of trademark useage between RHL and RHEL, the usual redistribution guidelines apply. And I take that to mean the JDK is the biggest barrier to binary redistribution.
Tom