Re: Red Hat EW Licensing

Tom Georgoulias wrote:
Thomas Dodd wrote:

See the GPL. If you modify GPL source code, it's still GPL. So if you distribute the binaries, which are GPL, you must make the the source available, and cannot restrict redistribution of either. The only redistribution limits are:
1) Red Hat's tradmarks (like the ShadowMan logo, and the name)
2) non-GPL code included with the distro, like IBM's JVM.

So Red Hat says the _SOFTWARE_ is GPL. So I copy, modify, and redistribute according the the GPL. I've asked sales about it. waiting for a reply.
I read the "certain image files" mentioned in the first paragraph of Appendix 1 to be the IBM JDK mentioned in the second paragraph:

Since there seems to be no differentiation of trademark useage between RHL and RHEL, the usual redistribution guidelines apply. And I take that to mean the JDK is the biggest barrier to binary redistribution.

So it appears that the IBM stuff cannot be copied except to authorized (RHEN subscribed) systems. You cannot remove it from the distro, due to the Red Hat trademarks use requirements. Time to make Pink Tie WS/ES <http://cart.cheapbytes.com/cgi-bin/cart/0070010908.html?id=kmmg6Utm>

<aside>
I'm still not sure why cheapbytes had to modify the set. It's the same as the downloadable version. If it was a LUG selling it for the same price, $7 for the 3 binary CDs, $13 for all 6 CDs, it'd be fine. The reuse requirement of eductional/not-for-profit doesn't make sense.

I got several people to by CDs this way, who now buy boxed sets and RHN. With out the service they would never have tried it. 1) slow network speeds. 2) no CDR.

Groups like CheapBytes help spread linux top where it is now. Now they are being shuned. Also note, that the sell the boxed versions too. So it's an inexpensive way to try RHL. If you like it, you buy the box or RHN later. I wonder how many peoply tried linux and RHL that way that are now regular customers, bringing in more, especiall the big enterpriise accounts.

</aside>

-Thomas