Re: Red Hat EW Licensing

Thomas Dodd wrote:

So it appears that the IBM stuff cannot be copied except to authorized (RHEN subscribed) systems. You cannot remove it from the distro, due to the Red Hat trademarks use requirements.

The more I dig into this, the more I get the impression that the only thing holding a person back from redistributing a binary version of RHEL sans JDK is the fuzziness surrounding the trademarks. If I felt I needed RHEL to run a server for my hypothetical, non-profit org, and I had more time than money, I could put all the binaries together and share them with other hypothetical non-profit orgs. Since we're a non-profit, we wouldn't be barred from using the Red Hat trademarks and the code itself is GPL/BSD/etc. approved. Safe and sound?

Not that I want to or have any intentions of building or redistributing RHEL. For me, this is more of a mental exercise than anything else.

I'm still not sure why cheapbytes had to modify the set.

Me neither. The ISOs are exactly the same, right? They just aren't call it "Red Hat Linux" or anything close to that.

Huh. Now I know why I'm an engineer and not a lawyer.

Tom