Re: Red Hat EW Licensing

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Tom Georgoulias wrote:

> Thomas Dodd wrote:
>
> > I'm still not sure why cheapbytes had to modify the set.

Because the name "Red Hat Linux" is a trademark and Red Hat Linux says you
cannot use it without their permission.

> Me neither.  The ISOs are exactly the same, right?  They just aren't
> call it "Red Hat Linux" or anything close to that.

IMNAL but:
I do not think they can distribute the copyrighted Red Hat logos without
specific permission from Red Hat. AFAIK this includes things like bluecurve
and anything with the shadowman logo on it.

So unless they got that permission they would have to rm the applicable
packages. AFAIK this applies to anyone except "Offical Red Hat Linux Mirror
sites" Red Hat's web site specifically gives them permission to redistribute
it.

IIRC Mike Harris gave a good description of this stuff on either psyche or
phoebe mailing lists a while back.

HTH,

--
.............Tom	"Nothing would please me more than being able to
tdiehl@xxxxxxxxxxxx	hire ten programmers and deluge the hobby market

   			We are still waiting ....